Friday, June 13, 2008

Hey, Good Lookin'


Ava received a Barbie for her birthday and along with it came a super fly hispanic friend named Theresa.
Upon opening the box she shouted with glee, "Oooo, a Barbie and there's me, of course!" (referring to Theresa)

Rather than go in to a whole spiel on how Barbie is a poor example of what real women look like, I smiled back and said, "But of course."

I, personally, don't have a problem with Barbie and that could be because I only owned one Barbie during my formative years. She was a Western Barbie and she had a button that you could press on her back and her one weird eye would wink. But I didn't play with her long because she always had to wear pantyhose due to the fact that her right leg kept falling off. And Barbie in a swimsuit with pantyhose was just not cool. So she went into a bin and I played with plump and jolly Carebear figures instead.

Don't worry, I scoured E-bay for the exact Carebears and she much rather play with the them, then with Barbie.

1 Ramble On:

Soggy Granola Mom said...

My mother-in-law gave us some Barbies. I was never into Barbies either. Unfortunately, my daughter seems to like them. Especially leaving them around naked. It's quite disturbing to find a pile of naked Ken and Barbie dolls on the floor.